Sunday, November 05, 2006

crossy time

So I have decided probably out of my immense boredom since Ishmeet is in India that I will be preparing for a half marathon. I went practicing day before yesterday and since my love handles are so much in love with me lately, I decided to start off with only 3 miles. So the idea for this blog came to me as I was running.

I do not know about others but there is something I always do when I run and that is, I get flashbacks (I do not want to write I dream). Honestly, when I am running somehow I end up thinking about the past from a runners perspective. And one flashback which always occurs is from my first inter-hostel crossy. It was my second semester and I was running the inter-hostel crossy for the first time. I remember people in our hostel talking "Abey Sari nahi aaya" and I think Sari nahi aaya tha till the start of crossy.

So the crossy started and I without a great strategy went on running to the best of my abilities. I remember Chuddu or Rajat Garg telling me I am in top 40 at the guest house. So after the guest house the next landmark is the convocation building and after that there is a long down hill portion. I remember I was trying to just hang in there without losing too many positions and then it happened. I looked over my shoulder and I saw him literally sprinting towards the down hill road. It was Sari !! and it was magical. I got such a kick out of it and I without a thought just followed his energy. If he overtook 15 guys and I probably overtook 8 atleast in the next 1 Km. He was soon out my sights :) and kept on going.

I think he finished 19th and I was 29 (or 31), do not remember for sure. To this date whenever I am running I look over my shoulder and imagine a Sari just sprinting away.

There are many other stories related to crossy at IIT, I will write about them slowly because I feel they have to be told. There was an Alumni Inter-IIT PAF/Social in Bay Area yesterday. The brotherhood across the IITs was so evident and I guess its like wine. Do I need to say who won it?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess Crossy will come close second in number of incidents/stories associated with a single entity after the PAFs. It is quite numbing feeling thinking about any thing at IIT and hajaar stories race to your mind. Just think about - Socials, H2 Football field, Frisbee sessions, preparing the volley field, hajaar cheering for hajaar matches, milkshakes for intra crossies, Issac collecting the slips after the crossy, the PA announcements of Abheek's external calls, Topi's never ending free milkshakes at Gopi, Mid sems late night tea sesssions, LTGU at the carrom sessions, Hemant playing the music system, all the freshie intros and freshie nights, MISS freshie, Water fights extending to Chinkos, Op's early morning hockey tyranny, Santo's sudden death rule in football matches, H3 vs Topi (Topi ne jab crossy mein langadi lagayi thi), Treasure hunts (I love this one EEEEEEEE...E = HajaarEe), all the election vote counting, Soap box of booba, cacksessions at PA system, Mastram ke charchee, Jhagridar ki devrani Jethani, Dhar ki Gaali Fights, Baajigar keeda, Rishi-Vishy ka football field ka pyaar....
Can anyone put an end to even list these memories??!
Someone summarised this very aptly saying - After these years at IIT I am unable to create new memories. I am surviving the present, living in the memories of that past.

Jeev, it is very plesant to visit your blog these days.
-chuddu

Anonymous said...

crossy???? this is the first time i'm hearing the word ...

JeevSingh said...

Satvir crossy is for cross-country. In IIT Bonbay lingo we used to call the 5 miles race "crossy".

Harkiran Kaur said...

Memories aren't letting you lose your love handles! haha

goodluck with the crossy!

Anonymous said...

this blog entry reminds me of the movie "seabiscuit"

JeevSingh said...

Hey Anony. seabiscuit and over the shoulder thing. You made me a horse, anyways I think Chuddu's post on the top has so many memories that a blog could be written for each of them.

Anonymous said...

no offences meant but it was the horse that always won :)... i guess my life is the same.... until and unless i face competition, i get stagnant

Tyson said...

to add... cricket field par wo Nimbu paani, and baddy court ki Anti cheering and the bamboo chori...