Monday, January 22, 2007

denial

I am sure about only one thing right now. That one thing is that I am leading a life of denial. I miss India too much but still do not put in a effort to go back, how weak is that. India is where my heart is, I miss the rickshaw's, the smoke and talking to every damn stranger on the street. I miss sitting with parents and having a cup of tea. I miss talking to my brother and fighting with him. I want to take Ishmeet to powai and show her all the places. I pray to God to help me here.

Lately, a lot of things have been going in my head. I want to do so many things and yet I cannot do anything. All I am doing right now is finishing every damn project that comes my way, be it work or personal life. I want to be a better sikh, I want to be a better Indian, I want to be a better human being, I want to be a better engineer, I want to be a better husband, I want to be a better son, I want to be a better brother, I want to be a better friend. There are so many "I want" in my head. I guess I should stop thinking about myself and look at the bigger picture, sort of like Gandhiji's Talisman which used to be there on the first left hand paper of every NCERT textbook. It read something like this:

"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man [woman] whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him [her]. Will he [she] gain anything by it? Will it restore him [her] to a control over his [her] own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to swaraj [freedom] for the hungry and spiritually starving millions?
Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Alright mates.....lets wake up tomorrow and try to do something good for someone else with no expecations. This word "sewa" as I am writing it, is soothing me so much I cannot express it in words. It feels like I got all my answers.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

syvw suriq sbid icqu lwey ]
saevaa surath sabadh chith laaeae ||
Center your awareness on seva-selfless service-and focus your consciousness on the Word of the Shabad.

houmai maar sadhaa sukh paaeiaa maaeiaa mohu chukaavaniaa ||1||
Subduing your ego, you shall find a lasting peace, and your emotional attachment to Maya will be dispelled. ||1||

:D Waheguru sareyaan nu sewa da bal bakshe!

Anonymous said...

after reading your first paragraph, i am standing in the same shoe as you :(

Feels like i am on some kind of "Banwaas". Hope that it ends soon.

JeevSingh said...

"Banwaas" bhai..please kuch to naam likha karo

Anonymous said...

Dost! Brooding does not help. Just decide and get going with your life. Its always you versus time. One makes the decision before the other!

musical said...

heartwarming post.....

Aman - The lost kid! said...

Very heart warming post I must admit..However its the same story with everyone in this world..not just Indians..everyone.. we all seek pleasure and happiness in and around us by being better at this and better at that..so much that we forget that true happiness lies not in being the best in everything, but being content with what one has...thats the thing that we humans have the least of..and something that we can definitely try to work on! Striving for excellence is definitely a good thing..but accepting, acknowledging and enjoying one's defeat is a bigger virtue!

Aman - The lost kid! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JeevSingh said...

Amandeep I liked what you wrote.