Tuesday, June 26, 2007

SaReGaMaPa

I have always been a sucker of quality music and one of the best shows India ever produced well before American Idol was "SaReGaMa". I think even SaReGaMa was inspired by Meri Awaaz Suno but somehow SaReGaMaPa was our family show. I remember Papa and I would leave everything to watch this show and even Mummy used to finish her chores well in time to watch this show.

These days Ishmeet and I watch SaReGaMaPa and also Amul Star Voice of India. What amazes me is how much one show has impacted our country. Not so long ago when all we had were two or three main lead voices, these shows provided hope. Music which was traditionally nurtured in selected Punjabi, Bengali, Tam-Brahm and Marathi houses all of a sudden became an option for kids all of over India. I am sure so many parents would have felt that they should teach their kids music seriously just after getting inspired by SaReGaMa.

The end result is quite evident, we have so many quality voices in the industry (no no not Himesh) that every song gets a different voice. It has made life difficult for people who take Antakshri very seriously because remembering so many different lyricist, singers and music directors in a tough job now.

1 comment:

Prateek said...

Would agree on the antakshri part.. I do not know half the singers on the circuit these days~ Anyway, gone are the dyas when one could give 3 songs for the combo raja mehendi ali khan-madan mohan and Lata!

I still remember the year when you and topi almost got the antakshri elims out of me in those during-lab trivia sessions!